|Also known as||Blazey, Blazy, Firespark, Fire Spawn, fire guy|
|Nationality||He was created in Edenia|
|Eye colour||Glowing white|
|Ethnicity||Orange, black, red, yellow|
|Career, affiliations and family information|
|Affiliation(s)||Argus, Delia, Steven, Kitana, Daegon (former), Orin and Caro|
|Occupation(s)||The one the two sons of Argus have to defeat in order to save the planets from Armageddon|
|Video Games, Movies and Cartoons information|
|Main appearance(s) (Video Games)||Mortal Kombat: Return of The Dragon King; Konquest, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Mortal Kombat II, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Mortal Kombat X (cameo)|
|Created by||The powerful sorceress Delia|
|Voiced by (English)||Ho Sung Pak|
- "Your mother, my creator; foreseen the upcoming Armageddon!"
- — Blaze to Steven
Blaze is a character in the Mortal Kombat fighting game series who made his debut as a background character in Mortal Kombat II. He made his playable debut in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance as a hidden character, and served as the final boss of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.
Blaze made his first chronological appearance in Mortal Kombat II, visible only as a burning figure in the Pit II background, fighting Jonathan Arbuckle. Details behind his story were not known until he returned as a secret playable fighter in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, where his in-game biography screen reveals that he is an elemental that had been pursuing a quest until he had been attacked by an ancient sect. The group of holy men, described as still serving the dead Dragon King, captured Blaze using magic and bound him to the task of protecting the last Great Dragon Age. After the egg hatched, Blaze was able to resume his previous mission.
The purpose of this quest, which had previously been left unexplained, was finally divulged in the subsequent release of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon and Mortal Kombat: Return of The Dragon King. It is said that Blaze had been created to oversee the strength of all of the fighters in the planets. His creator (Steven and Daegon's mother Delia) had foreseen an event when the fighters' powers would become a threat to all of existence itself. When this happened, it was Blaze's role to call out and awaken Steven and Daegon from their suspension. However, upon being freed from the egg incubation chamber, Blaze discovered that in his absence, the power and numbers of these fighters had become too great and that Daegon had already been revived. He sounded the call to awaken Steven. He then enacted the plan to bring all the fighters together into one final battle, where the actions of the two brothers would end up determining their fates and prevent Armageddon. Sensing that something evil from the Never Never Land was influencing Daegon, Blaze decided to travel there in order to find its source.
In Armageddon's Konquest mode, Blaze appears confronting both Steven and Daegon after the former had defeated Scorpion. He informs the two that the quest was not going as planned, and they were not following the guidelines as they were set by his creator Delia. He transports them to Edenian Ruins, where the final battle is set to occur and where one of the brothers is destined to defeat Blaze. However, Steven first defeats Daegon, who had become corrupted due to his premature awakening. Blaze then informs Steven that the future of all the planets would then depend on the remaining brother, who needed to defeat him in Mortal Kombat to determine the fate of the rest of the fighters and the planets. The Pyramid of Argus then forms in a nearby desert with Blaze waiting atop of it for Steven to destroy him. However, Shao Kahn is the one who defeated Blaze in the end.
- "For millennia, I have existed for one purpose - to monitor the strength of the world's combatants. My creator foresaw a time when warriors become too powerful and threaten all of existence. I was to sound the call to awaken her sons when the apex was drawing near. Their actions would determine the fate of these superior combatants and ultimately prevent Armageddon. It seems, however, that one brother has been prematurely revived. During my quest, I was overpowered by holy men who served Onaga. For ages, I was bound by their sorcery and oblivious to the growing strength of Ki Chao warriors. Finally free, I have emerged to discover beings whose power and number exceed that which the planets can sustain. I have sounded the call. The sleeping brother will soon awaken."
- — Blaze explaining his story
- "My initial quest was interrupted when I was forced to guard a dragon age for many years. When I awoke from enslavement, I felt altered in some way. Though I understood the reason I was created, I sensed that something was fundamentally wrong. Casting my uncertainty aside, I returned to my given task. I searched the planets to find a concentration of warriors with the ability to tap into the forces that bind the planets. What I discovered alarmed me! The number of combatants had grown since I last walked among them. I also learned that Onaga, the former ruler of Outworld, had somehow been resurrected. I could feel the strain upon the planets and concluded that the time had come: I would awaken the brothers and begin the second phase of the quest. In Earth, atop the pyramid of Argus, I let loose a psychic scream, the signal to the dragons to awaken the sons of Edenia. Shortly thereafter, I searched for the brothers to monitor their progress. It seems that Daegon was awakened centuries too early and is under the influence of some evil emanating from the Never Never Land. I must further assess this situation by travelling to that planet. It seems my task has been interrupted once again. I was not created to interfere, but the time may come when I will have to intercept the brothers to help insure my quest concludes as Argus and Delia planned."
- — Blaze
Over the years, the firespark Blaze has watched over the planets, keeping guard over the Age of the Dragon King. But his new purpose is to awaken the sons of Argus so that they may begin their quest to save the other worlds from Armageddon.
- Excluding stage fatalities and the Create-A-Fatality, Blaze is one of the seven characters including Daegon, Mokap, Moloch, Chameleon, Khameleon and Onaga never to receive his own finishing move.
- Blaze, along with Robot Sub-Zero, D'Vorah, Xenomorph and Predator, is one of the only characters to have a very rare blood colour. In his case, it is considered to be lava.
- Blaze appears in Mortal Kombat: Return of The Dragon King; Konquests mode, where he asks Shujinko to find a memory potion to remember his quest.